Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Flying to Oz, Sleeping Pills, and a Helmet

When I was on the plane from San Francisco to New Zealand, end destination was Surfers Paradise in Australia, I made my flight no worries. Sat down next to a nice girl, Ann heading to Papua New Guinea, and this Kiwi dude, Shane.

After a few minutes of chatting with the two of them, we were in the air and cruising... this leg of the flight was like 16 hours straight... so I got my sleeping pills out. Took 2 or 3, wanted to make sure I woke up in New Zealand. Shane, saw me and asked what I was taking... then asked if he could have some.

I paused for a moment, to check if he was serious or not... Then I told him how unsafe it was to take pills from strangers, we laughed. Then I handed him some sleeping pills and he took them.

Shane and I traded information on the plane, he offered me a place to visit if I was in New Zealand ever again. About 30 minutes after we took our pills, we were singing with the sandman, sound asleep.

I woke up in a haze a few times to walk around the plane, looking for the head. I think the attendant woke me once to feed me something, who really knows what those meals are on international flights.

The next thing I knew I was in New Zealand, waiting to catch my next plane to Australia around 5 am. It was about 40 minutes of free time before boarding.

The flight to Oz was only an hour and 20 minutes. I made it to Surfers Paradise. Immigration was a breeze, the whole security screening process was pleasant there in Coolongata ? not sure how that's spelt.

I made friends with some more kiwis there outside the terminal trying to catch a public bus because I had my motorcycle helmet with me, which was my carry-on... not many folks do that I bet.

Jumped on an expensive public bus to the beach, found a hostel... then went to the beach and started day 1 of 100 in the Land down under! Didn't know anyone, anything, nor anyone... very good way to measure yourself, to feel strong when looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment