Monday, November 8, 2010

Within Death's Intake




Not all those who wander are lost.
One of my near death experiences. I treasure those experiences more than you could ever imagine. Each one changes you, gives you life, gives you spirit, gives you character.
Floating on a tube. A tube we bought for 30,000 won from a Korean farmer in Shin Cheorlwon. Ernesto, Doug Huey, Megan and I were doing what no Korean would dare, nor most people. We jumped into a river, not just any river... This was the Grand Canyon of South Korea; at least thats what Koreans said.

First off was a dramatic white water tumbler on the Han Tan river. We all went. And we all fell off our tubes - but that's the fun of the game. This river was new, unexplored, and that was what made my heart beat and our eyes open.

We managed to avoid the death spots. And we had a blast. Half way, we say a beach where all the other rafts were pulling up to end their day and get lunch. We got told by the Police that the river was too dangerous! We were told we'd die if we floated it on a tube. And they even offered us life jackets, but being with Ernesto - that wasn't needed, he was confident of his skills, and I was way too sure that we'd handle any obstacles in our path. Doug and Megan were just kinda following along.

The police ended our float that day, which was okay with us, we had been floating for a long time and were getting hungry... I think it may have even started to rain. So we walked up the hill and the hospitable Koreans gave us a free lunch. We just joined in with their tour groups, since they were having some buffet and we never say no to anything free; especially not Ernesto.

The next day we sneaked back to that spot where the Police had ended our adventure. As fast as we could, we jumped on our tubes and paddled like Jaws was after us. They never saw or heard us slip past their guard.

It was a fun day, until this last bit. We tubed about 98% of the river without major issues... we got flipped a few times, we got a few dings and stuff, but nothing serious.

Ernesto and all of us were on the last stretch. Ernesto said to watch out because this man-made damn was up ahead. We were in this canyon were waterfalls were everywhere, numerous falls on each side of the walls of the canyon. And the water was going fast. So I took point on this last part. Ernesto and I usually took turns leading into something.

Just so happened I assumed something that almost ended my tubing days for good! I approached the man made damn first, well ahead of the group and that may have saved me. Other things that may have saved my life that day were: Waiting for the rain to stop and leaving the river from the previous day. Getting a good nights rest. Refusing the life jackets. Having shoes that could be slipped off, if need be; and I did need be. A man by the name of Doug Huey being way slow, not mentally - but tubing speed, so he was last and behind me a good distance too.

Within 5 feet of the damn, my assumptions were WRONG! Dead Wrong! I assumed that the concrete would be solid throughout the dam... and especially where I was heading. It was the complete opposite. It was an intake for the irrigation system, river feed irrigation system mind you. So with a burst of energy, I threw my tube onto the top of the damn and was able to also throw hands up just in time before being sucked in and gone forever!

The force of the water was strong and unending. As I struggled with my predicament I noticed that Ernesto was too far on the far side to help, but I did see his face and his emotion! Then there was Megan, she just wasn't really paying attention nor helpful even if she'd seen me fighting. So that left only one other, Doug Huey... he was approaching slowly.

I began to fight, but my ribs cracked... and my muscles were growing weak due to the river. I went under a few times to try and gather strength... and I found a metal lip in the mouth of the intake. It was just big enough for the ends of my toes to grip onto and relieve my arms a bit. If I let go, I die. If my feet slip, I die. So I thought about reducing the drag. I slipped my shoes off, down the intake they went and to this day they never showed up anywhere... that was a bad sign to see... if they'd shown up on the other side of the dam, then I'd have a chance if that slip occurred - but it was as I said... nothing inside of that intake except death. It was dark, cold, and full of life at the same time.

At this point, I was taking off my shorts, my underwear, my everything and shuffling over to the west corner of the intake. I tried to pull myself out, but I was too weak.

Doug Huey asked if I needed help. I replied, very calmly... yeah bro, this is no joke, Help me.

Some how Doug Huey, who was on the far side of the dam, managed to climb onto the dam and made his way over to my intake section. He reached his hand down. We gripped each other and he pulled me up out of death's intake.

I said to Doug, thanks and if you ever need anything, anything at all, I'm your man to help you. This is a great impression to make on someone you just met yesterday.

So there I stood on top of the dam that nearly killed me, I let Doug Huey go on first. I knew I had to jump back on my tube and finish what little of the river was left. It wasn't the river that scared me though when I entered, it was Ernesto's eyes.

I remember slowly catching up! The silence, the time froze, the river slowed... as I neared Ernesto, who was still in his tube, I couldn't look at him. He said something like DUDE, I almost lost you! Dude! What the Fuck! Not sure what all he said, but when I managed to look up at him... his eyes said it all. I don't cry, but if I did... I bet a tear would have fell from my eye.

I had to walk bare foot on rocks down the roads with them, I smiled the whole time... no complaining after that adventure. A Korean farmer let us hitch a ride in the back of his farm truck, blue is the color of every farm truck in Korea for some reason. I smiled the whole time as we made our way back to camp atop of the waterfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment